Benefits are payable only if you are eligible. Common issues that make you ineligible include:
- Quitting your job;
- Being fired or suspended from work;
- Missing an opportunity for work during a week you claim;
- Refusing work;
- Turning down or not contacting the employer when referred by a WorkSource Oregon office;
- Missing a scheduled orientation meeting with a WorkSource Oregon office;
- Illness or injury;
- Failing to look for work;
- School attendance;
- Being out of the area unless you are looking for work;
- Not being willing or ready to take work;
- Receiving retirement pay, vacation pay, or holiday pay;
- Skipping a week without restarting your claim; and
- Answering a question on your weekly claim in a way that raises an issue.
If there is a problem, we will contact you either by phone or mail. We will explain the problem and how it could affect your claim. We will ask you for details about the situation. Please reply quickly if you get a form to complete, a letter asking for information, or a telephone message. Your benefits could be delayed until you answer. If you do not answer at all, we may deny benefits. Continue to make your weekly claims either online or on the Weekly Claim Line while we investigate your claim.
We will make a decision based on information from you, your employer or other sources. If the decision allows benefits and you meet all eligibility conditions, we pay any benefits you have coming, including for past weeks. Any time we deny benefits, we send you a decision explaining why we denied benefits, for what time period, how to requalify, and how to appeal if you disagree.